NHA Annual Meeting and Humanities Advocacy Day
March 11, 2018 at 6pm - March 13, 2018
Washington Court Hotel & Capitol Hill
Join us in Washington, D.C. this March to advocate for the humanities! This year’s event will provide ample opportunity to connect with a growing number of humanities advocates from around the country. Together, we will explore approaches to year-round advocacy on college campuses and in local communities while also preparing for Capitol Hill visits. On March 13, we will visit House and Senate offices to make a persuasive case for federal funding for the humanities.
- Presentation of the Yates Award to two Members of Congress
- Luncheon Address from John Parrish Peede, Acting Chairman of the NEH
- Multiple advocacy training sessions
- Plenary Discussion on the role of the humanities in addressing public distrust in higher education
Click here for the full program!
On Tuesday, March 13, advocates will visit Members of Congress or their staff with state-based delegations. NHA schedules these meetings in advance on behalf of all advocates. Before we meet in D.C., participants will be introduced to their advocacy group via email, receive advocacy training resources, and profiles of the Members of Congress whose offices they will visit. At the annual meeting, all advocates will have time to meet with their groups to discuss strategy and logistics for the following day.
Last year’s advocacy resources will be useful for first-time advocates interested in better understanding the resources provided for Humanities Advocacy Day.
Advocacy Guide Training Video
The National Federation of Advanced Information Services (NFAIS) will hold its Humanities Roundtable at the Washington Court Hotel on Sunday, March 11, from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm. We encourage all NHA Annual Meeting attendees who are interested to attend. The theme of this year’s roundtable is “Meeting the Needs of Humanities Librarians.” The roundtable program will end shortly before NHA’s annual meeting begins.
Sign Up Here!
Washington Court Hotel
525 New Jersey Ave. NW,
Washington, DC 20001
Please help us build support for the humanities by signing on as a sponsor of the NHA Annual Meeting and Humanities Advocacy Day.
Sign Up Here!
Thank you to our Capitol Hill Reception Sponsor!
Thank you to our Luncheon Sponsor!
Thank you to our sponsors!
- American Academy of Religion
- American Alliance of Museums
- American Anthropological Association
- American Council of Learned Societies
- American Historical Association
- American Institutes for Conservation
- American Philosophical Association
- American Political Science Association
- American Schools of Oriental Research
- American Sociological Association
- Association of American Colleges and Universities
- Association of Research Libraries
- Association of University Presses
- Baker-Nord Center for the Humanities, Case Western Reserve University
- CAA - Advancing Art and Design
- Community Colleges Humanities Association
- Cornell University
- Council of Colleges of Arts & Sciences
- Council on Undergraduate Research
- Dartmouth College
- Federation of State Humanities Councils
- German Studies Association
- Kaplan Humanities Institute at Northwestern University
- Middle East Studies Association
- Modern Language Association
- National Communication Association
- National Humanities Center
- Oregon Humanities Center
- Organization of American Historians
- Simpson Center for the Humanities
- The Renaissance Society of America, Inc.
- The Society for Classical Studies
- University of Arkansas
- University of California, Santa Barbara, Division of Humanities and Fine Arts
- University of Iowa Obermann Center for Advanced Studies
- University of Maryland Arts and Humanities
- Virginia Foundation for the Humanities
Have any questions? Contact Kassandra Wahlstrom at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-296-4994 ext. 160.